Aumsville Historical Society
AHS members Charlotte Bates, Ted Shepard, Evelyn Fuson, Evelyn Cady, Margaret Mulkey and Karlene Santibanez at Canyon Life Museum at Mill City. North Santiam Historical Society operates this museum in a former Southern Pacific Railroad depot.
The brick building under construction in 1912
The Rosenberg brothers opened it as a bank in July 1912. The building has had many uses. Since 2009 it has been the Aumsville Museum and History Center.
Clarence and Audrey Scott of Aumsville have both been speakers at AHS meetings. Clarence served very proudly in the US Navy submarine service during WWII. He has been president of the organization for those sub sailors.
Audrey has Crabtree ancestors who came over the Oregon Trail in the early days. She is also a descendant of Reverend Joab Powell, a well-known circuit rider.
Lorene Mathews with her historical display at the 1997 Corn Festival in Aumsville. Lorene came to Aumsville in 1958. She began to collect local historical items and take photos. She has given them to AHS.
AHS Officers 2017
L-R: Linda Mills (Treasurer), Diana Wullert (Secretary), Karlene Santibanez (Vice President), Ted Shepard (President)
Diana Wullert waits for students to arrive during Aumsville's after school enrichment program. AHS participated on a regular schedule during 2006-8. The theme was always "Life in Yesteryear", but the content varied. Volunteers staffed tables of items, mostly from the museum. Sometimes they brought personal items. On this occasion, Diana brought vintage needlework including her grandmother's crocheted tablecloth.
Small groups of children came to each table. Volunteers talked about the items and the students could ask questions. After a designated time, the call was made for the youngsters to move to the next table. The volunteers repeated their presentations, until a complete rotation had been made.
An old, metal key collection was a favorite with the students. At the bottom of their list was homemade soap. They insisted that the modern brands were better.
Doris Hutchins designed and built this miniature float of the old brick building for the 1997 Corn Festival.
Museum and History Center